Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Brownie19

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,100
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    43

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Brownie19

  1. Superstars don't win baseball games. Ask TB and the Angels.
  2. Man - Stripling gave us a 4.80 ERA, 4.83 xERA, 5.21 FIP, 4.59 xFIP and 0.2 WAR this year. That's 'fine' because he got hot for 12 starts?
  3. yes. guilty. My kids say 'on accident' all the time and I'm always correcting them. Does that even my stupidity out?
  4. Fair enough. I get that it makes you angry they win without a super rotation or even a lineup full of superstars when the Jays had both this year and finished 4th. I think the feeling is actually jealousy because we can't figure out how they do it. We have the AL Cy Young winner and the AL MVP runner up and 2nd runner up and we can't win 100 games. I too like the big name matchups - but I'm really excited to watch Baz pitch.
  5. I guess time will tell. All I'm saying is we don't have this massive history of patching together great starting rotations year after year. We've done it once and for all the Pete Walker throating around here, there's a decent chance they got really lucky with Ray and Matz this year. Granted you hear guys like Ray and T.Walker praising Pete Walker and the analytics team - so I do hope we're on the right track. I just want to see them do it consistently. If you want to ignore the old turds, then just look at the failed young pitchers on this team: Pearson Thornton Kay Borucki Hatch Murphy Stripling (who's been way worse than he was in LA) There are lots of talented arms in that bunch that we've gotten next to nothing out of.
  6. The real life challenge is deciding when to make that change. When the bullpen starts to show kinks in the armor - do you immediately change philosophies? or do you chalk it up to SSS? There are all kinds of blips in the radar throughout a season and you can't expect a manager to read those changes correctly every time and make those immediate changes. That said, I think you could definitely suggest Chuckles was a little slow to adjust and remove the early season faith he had in the bullpen and place it onto the starters, but it's probably not fair to suggest he screwed this up for a full 2 months.
  7. So...you're just ignoring the numbers?
  8. I mean, the tutelage and guidance of the coaching staff, strength and conditioning group and analytics department worked wonders on Ray and Matz, but why didn't we see results with Stripling, Pearson, Roark, Anderson, Thornton, etc.? The reality is it's always very hit or miss. Does the Jays department 'hit' more than the average club? Maybe they do, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. As for 2020.....Ray didn't boost our rotation. xFIP and FIP around 5 with a BB/9 over 6. He was s*** in 2020. Walker's results were great, but the underlying numbers suggested he was really lucky for us. And I'm not sure it matters what happened in 2016 if you're going to ignore 2017, 2018 and 2019. I am a little peaved we traded Riley Adams for Brad Hand (who immediately pitched better for the Mets after we dumped him).
  9. Dude - you posted a scenario where we sign Max Scherzer and have Noah Syndergaard as our 5th starter. That's insane. This FO has a lot of work to do. They need to extend Berrios 1st and foremost to protect the trade they made last year. Then they need to address the depth issues we have in the rotation (as we can't rely or expect to have the same health we did this year). I suspect 'ace' pitcher might actually be 3rd on the priority list.
  10. How quickly you forget 2020 when this FO brought in Tanner Roark, Chase Anderson and Matt Shoemaker to anchor the rotation (along with Ryu). They also ran Thornton and Pearson out there. Any claim that this FO "is pretty good at finding starting pitching" is laughable. The reality is dumpster diving is a risky approach and very few FO's are able to consistently 'hit'. I would suggest we got really lucky this year. Ray and Matz magically turned their careers around, Manoah stepped right in and became a stud and we generally got very lucky on the injury front. Keep in mind the FO went bullpen dumpster diving in 2019, 2020 and 2021. Worked really well in 2019 and 2020 and it s*** the bed this year - forcing them to give up assets to plug holes.
  11. I believe he was Spider Tack's leading sponsor athlete.
  12. Can you help me understand this mentality? It's horseshit that they have Baz? It's horseshit they didn't call Baz up earlier? It's horseshit they can win 100 games without using Baz? I mean I'm sure Glasnow would have been the Game 1 starter if he didn't get hurt. I get that people don't think TB is 'good for baseball' because they never keep home grown talent, which may hurt their ability to appeal to the casual Rays fan. I don't understand why people hate TB because they look outside the box to find efficiencies that allow them to win year after year after year without a large payroll. You'd rather they just play traditional baseball and suck balls?
  13. Oh man are you setting yourself up for disappointment.
  14. Very good chance this is all correct...but you never know. Sometimes a change of scenery helps. Dallas has a really solid LB core and it looks like Smith just fell behind them and didn't have a clear path to playing time.
  15. Packers get Jaylon Smith at least...
  16. So they let Waino hit with a runner on and in return - they he gave them 1 extra out. Might regret that call.
  17. Did they remove the virtual strike zone tonight to protect Joe West in his last MLB game?
  18. Did he actually infect others?
  19. Shouldn't he be in CF over Bellinger?
  20. Can you imagine being the owner who cuts a cheque to this guy? Good lord sir - you're the Joe West of broadcasting.
  21. This. Nobody wants Grich unless it allows you to dump even more salary and save money as you attempt to re-tool/re-build your team. Minny has some talented young players, but the pitching is a mess so I suspect they will re-build - which makes a JD reunion plausible. I think Grich + a mid tier prospect (Leo or Kloff) for JD could be possible. They save money and get a lottery ticket to help them restock the system.
  22. Great teams need good backup players. Having either Espinal or Biggio as our first infielder off the bench (who typically gets 400-500 at bats a year anyway) is the ideal position to be in. Not sure I see value in having both on the bench unless you dump Grich and make Biggio your 4th OFer / super sub. That certainly would be a sign we have a very deep and talented team.
  23. But the Rays are bad for baseball right?
  24. saw this earlier...he doesn't actually 'get on top of it' like you'd think. Matt Lisle (@coachsaysjokes) • Instagram video WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM 1,342 likes, 25 comments - coachsaysjokes on October 5, 2021: "A few notes on Schwarbers HR: - pitch at top of the zone - did NOT “get on top” - hands above barrel even on high pitch - positive (swinging up) attack angle. Even on a high pitch. - barrel in zone early and long = contact point can be deeper and still go “Yahtzee!” ⁣ .⁣ .⁣ .⁣ .⁣ .⁣ #baseball #baseballcards #baseballgame #baseballislife #baseballlove #baseballseason #beisbol #bronxbombers #dodgers #espn #football #homerun #majorleaguebaseball #mets #mlb #mlbtheshow #nfl #nyy #redsox #redsoxbaseball #redsoxfan #redsoxfans #redsoxsuck #redsoxvsorioles #softball #sports #worldseries #yankees #yankeesbaseball #yankeestadium".
×
×
  • Create New...