Jeff Bagwell has never been implicated in failing any sort of test and there is next to no proof that he took steroids but he still gets punished for it. Ortiz should be crucified by HOF voters for actually failing a test but for some reason he doesn't receive the same treatment.
What are his hall of fame chances? The overall package doesn't cut it for me and he's not as good as someone like Edgar Martinez who isn't going to even sniff the Hall.
That said Ortiz has the WS titles for the once loathsome Red Sox and is one of the most popular players in the game. He was implicated by steroids but writers are pretty uneven at best when it comes to applying that.
I think they just figure they suck so why spend 20 million on two relievers for this season. Traded them for what they could and probably now have some money to make some other moves.
They are better but not by that much really. Still a team with a lot of work left to do. Going to have to pay a lot of tax to build a contender as well.
The very first sentence of the article says that, "The Toronto Blue Jays are considering extending a contract offer to free-agent pitcher Zack Greinke..."
If you could get him on a 4 year deal he could be a great pickup. It's possible he's a 3 to 4 WAR improvement over what we currently have. He'd mash at RC. Lots of risk though. Seems similar to Josh Hamilton almost.
Not a huge Cameron fan but in his defense writing up FA predictions for all 30 is really difficult and an endeavor which he even admits is pretty much worthless as an actual predictive tool.
What if you backload the deals to save 5 to 7 million and non-tender/trade Smoak and Revere?
I know it's pushing it but maybe hold off on Jaso (who I'm not even sure can play 1B) or get a little creative with the active roster and it could be done?
Lol I know I know! But it's hard for me to forego the eye test AND stats such as xFip to actually advocate the signing of Chris Young who I had always presumed was a piece of s***.
Yeah that's the article I was referencing as evidence. If that is true then for 1 year 6 million for a pitcher who is coming of 2.4 and 3.0 RA9-WAR seasons makes a ton of sense for the #5 SP. This ballpark wouldn't do him any favors though.
I might even give him that much money to be our long man and #6 SP which we will certainly need at some point.