Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Terminator

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    22,061
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    113

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Terminator

  1. Sounds crazy to non-tender Ernie but slap hitting utility infielders often don't get as much as that on the open market. I suspect they'll bring him back though. Smith is probably back. Francis and Schneider could be DFA candidates. The rest are no brainers.
  2. Question for the Luis Robert fanboys: Did you know that Myles Straw has out-WAR'd Robert the past three seasons? 2.5 WAR for Straw and 2.4 for Robert. Can't blame injuries either since Straw did that in just 633 plate appearances while Robert got 1087. If you extrapolate Straw's playing time out to match Robert's over this same time period, Straw would have 4.3 WAR. So Straw has basically been twice the player, yet everyone wants to kick him to the curb while bringing Robert in. Question for everyone else: Why do you think the Luis Robert fanboys are so deliriously in love with such a mid (at best) player?
  3. Based on recent comments from the Jays' brass, it doesn't sound like Bateman is going to be penciled in as the every day starter in CF. Whether that means we acquire a starting-caliber CF and move Batemen to a 4th OF role or we get a righty hitting CF to platoon with him, it does seem like adding a CFer is going to be on the agenda.
  4. One thing working against us signing Skubal is my theory that Florida Man has no problem signing with the Jays, but California Dude is a much tougher sell, especially when he's married. Unfortunately, Skubal is a California Dude and not only that but he married his high school sweetheart, so that could be an issue depending on how much pull she has. As we've learned from the Matt Chapmans and Corbin Burneses of the world, the wives are the true power brokers of MLB free agency. Scott Boras can negotiate the contract, but he can't negotiate the pull of having grandparents living close by to babysit. That said, Skubal speaks pretty fondly of his time in Detroit, so maybe they're the type who are happy anywhere. But to pry California Dude from the Dodgers, we will need their ownership issues to play a major factor.
  5. I suspect we will be "finalists" for Skubal like we are for every other top FA. I don't want to rustle anyone's jimmies here, so don't tar and feather me for this, but do I wonder if we have a decent chance this time? Dodgers have some weird ownership stuff going on Mets can be surprisingly all in or all out on free agents Yankees rotation is stacked Skubal is a pitcher so it might scare off some of the other big spenders like the Phillies? Jays have been trying to land a FA whale for a while so it could be their last chance with new CBA changes But man, if they want to win a World Series imagine a playoff rotation of Skubal, Cease, Trey and Soriano.
  6. Where did all the Luis Robert fanboys go? I haven't seen him mentioned once. We could probably sign him for the entire 2027 season for less than the Orioles paid him for three games in 2026. What a steal!
  7. We are going for the big fish again
  8. Ross after a subpar performance with his wife: "We felt like we were fully prepared as a team to achieve mutual pleasure, and we believed we had the right process in place to execute on that goal. Ultimately, we weren’t able to get the desired result, and I take full responsibility for that. At the end of the day, the process was sound. The execution simply wasn’t there and that's my fault."
  9. Remarkable how this franchise has turned around its reputation among players. It wasn't that long ago that we couldn't even outbid other teams to get a MLB player (aka xenophobic southerners) to play north of the border and now they are begging to stay.
  10. Anyone but the Red Sox, Yankees or Dodgers, but especially the latter two.
  11. On a message board that many describe as being a wretched hive of scum and villainy, Spanky's strong integrity and morals serve as a shining example for the rest of us to follow. Where others welch or are constantly negative, his positivity and commitment to honoring his word remind us that there are still good people among us. We should all strive to be a little more like Spanky.
  12. He'll be 27 and he's never once done that
  13. Seems like CJ Abrams' name keeps getting floated out there too
  14. Lukes is criminally underrated. Seems like everyone wants to roll with Barger in one corner OF spot and a FA signing in the other, but I'm not sure why Barger is being penciled in over Lukes. I guess Lukes is old so maybe if you think his skillset will age poorly I could see wanting to move on, but Barger hasn't exactly established himself. As for the right handed hitter to pair with Lukes, that guy could simply be Santander. Not sure I have enough faith in him for anything other than a short side platoon right now anyway (i.e. I would not pencil Santander in as my DH to start the year).
  15. 100%. He's like the white guy version of Albert Pujols only he's better. I also respect his loyalty to the franchise. Lots of casuals drag him as some sort of loser for not demanding a trade and they are idiots for it. Mike Trout rules.
  16. While we are talking Jays retreads, I don't think there is any chance in hell Bo opts out but what about trading for him? Jays get Bo and 10M a year to pay for some of his contract and the Mets get a 40FV?
  17. I wonder if the Jays will kick the tires on one of the Japanese pitchers. Seems like there are two main options: Hiromi Itoh and Kaima Taira. Itoh is 5'9", 180 pounds and sits 92–94 with a deep arsenal, including a splitter, which is always enough to get Pete Walker to raise a glass. Taira is more interesting. He's 5'8", 220 pounds, which makes the mound visits with Kirk reason enough to sign him. Apparently he's very analytically inclined and really into pitch data and biomechanics. He can touch 99 and throws something like eight different pitches. He'd be a fun guy to get.
  18. I'm down for bringing Bieber back on a cheap deal but he is so unreliable that if we do sign him, I think we need to bring in another SP on top of it. Cease, Trey, and Ponce ended the year hurt and Soriano wasn't looking so hot either. Adding Bieber to that mix might not be enough. Maybe Bieber and Gausman? But that would probably add close to 30M AAV to next year's payroll and we still need to add 2 or 3 bats.
  19. Will be interesting to see the fan reaction tonight. I thought for sure he was destined for boos but his comments today were about as good as you could have hoped for but there's a chance they fall flat for the legions of casuals who are ready to tar and feather him Jays Centre style. We'll see.
  20. Well said but it rings a little bit hollow when he said this in his first follow-up: “I don’t regret it, because I wasn’t lying. Obviously there are fans who don’t get it, who aren’t in my shoes, and who don’t know what I meant. But honestly, I don’t regret anything I said.” I guess the answer for why he changed his mind is because of the talking-to his dad gave him?
  21. The first interview was bad, but it was made even worse by his follow-up interviews. Now he's going to try again. Surely he's gotten some proper media coaching this time. Although, if he responds to media coaching the same way he responds to baseball coaching, he'll probably just ignore it and triple down on the original comments.
  22. Vlad is going to get booed to hell and back and it's going to be a disaster. 13 more years of an underachieving, slap-hitting 1B who has a crappy relationship with the fans. Kill me.
  23. Yeah I don't think he would cost that much and he doesn't have very pronounced splits so he wouldn't further our problems against LHP. He's also younger and I think he ages just fine on a 3 year deal.
  24. Corner OF is definitely a need but I actually think the biggest hole is 2B. Not because Taters/Barger/Lukes are saviors, but because Ernie flat-out sucked this year: .259 xwOBA with 10th-percentile defense. Among 134 qualified hitters, he was 15th-worst in WAR. Yuck. Tendering him a contract isn't a slam dunk anymore. Luis Urias is barely hanging around MLB and projects better. At minimum, Ernie needs to be a full-time bench player and if some team views him as a legit starter I'd trade him. As for Lowe and Arraez, I agree with the criticisms above. But everyone in baseball knows about their flaws, and they'll be priced accordingly. The free-agent rankings I've seen aren't exactly gushing over either guy or projecting massive contracts. Lowe is definitely riskier with his contact profile but I don't think either is getting 4+ years? If so, I'm out but if they are looking at 2 or 3 years then I would kick the tires.
×
×
  • Create New...