Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Terminator

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    22,061
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    113

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Terminator

  1. Brian Serven might be the worst professional athlete to ever take the field, court, rink, etc. The fact that he gets cups of coffee in the big leagues tells you all you need to know about how hard the catching position is.
  2. He’s alive! Was hoping you were okay since I haven’t seen you around since November 5th (NFL trade deadline day). Might be time for a new avatar though.
  3. I'm starting to come back around to this line of thinking. If Vlad isn't going to play ball with us at all, then we shouldn't extend him. If you think about it, we could simply sign someone like Bregman for 180 million which would be roughly HALF of what Vlad is presumably looking to get. I'm not sure that he's half the player either. I still think I'm in for Devers money, and perhaps I'd pay a little more for inflation. But if he wants anything more than that I pass.
  4. What if you refresh the browser? Should come up then
  5. I have it on good authority that he reads the board and that the heat is really getting to him. He was particularly stressed out when his last defenders (Spanky and I) jumped ship.
  6. Oh yeah they are probably the 2nd most storied franchise in MLB despite playing in a shithole of a city. One of the great franchises of all time. It's probably what is leading to their downfall though. Clinging to "the Cardinal way" as the rest of the league evolves.
  7. Nice, we are officially in Carlos Baerga season. I assume he gets all of his news from drinking beer and bullshitting with his old MLB buddies in Puerto Rico.
  8. The Angels are off to a hot start. Jumping the market for a guy with an 84 mph fastball after trading for a statue who will clog up the DH spot.
  9. Yeah so many people are willing to work in baseball that they are able to get away with paying almost nothing. I went to the winter meetings once and attended the job fair and 90 percent of the jobs were selling minor league tickets in the middle of nowhere. The substantive jobs were either minimum wage jobs or unpaid internships. On top of it, the industry is ripe with nepotism.
  10. -I would be excited as s*** by a Bregman signing like this. Find a LF and the lineup would look good. That said, the 7 years would have me scared shitless. -Similar with Hoffman as it seems like a year too long but otherwise he'd be a nice addition. -Joc at that price is fine with me. -Conforto at that price would be a good signing. I'd pass on everyone else.
  11. Good call on Pivetta, I hadn't thought of him as a possible fit for the Jays but he would be a good target. I doubt he breaks the bank and his advanced stats are great.
  12. No Tyler O'Neil....
  13. Sounds like they are going to do your idea where they tack on some of that 36 mil but spread it out over a a couple of extra years. Probably ends up with the 7 years, 180 mil or something like that.
  14. Yeah I'm really over his schtick. Dude is a very underachieving and mid reliever but he talks more trash than anyone.
  15. It's all good. It's pretty confusing after hearing the 10 for 700 number for so long, especially if you don't care to dig into it (and it's a contract so not that exciting anyway). But yeah, it all seems like one huge ego stroke for Ohtani, who is someone who doesn't know much about finances themselves.
  16. It's weird why Ohtani wanted this. I've read that the CBA is pretty aggressive in it's present day value calculations to prevent teams from gaming the system so in the long run he likely loses money by doing this. I think he might be trying to avoid CA state income tax but that's not entirely clear that he'll be successful in doing so. Perhaps he's a finance ignoramus as well (apparently so after his translator was stealing millions off of him) and just gets the satisfaction in the shock value of the 700 million dollar number.
  17. Correct, they have to pay him the 2 million each year and then they are required to actually put the other 44 million into an escrow account. That might be an interest bearing account but they aren't stuffing it into a hedge fund or anything to make it grow faster. And this also negates the common misconception that they only have to spend an actual 2 mil per year during his tenure, thus allowing them to spend more on other free agents and stack the team while he's under contract. Nope, they actually are spending the 46 mil per year. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39092632/shohei-ohtani-defer-680m-deal-dodgers-sources
  18. Yes, if we choose to ignore all concepts of basic finance then you have some great points. But aside from that, hear me out. Maybe nobody, including the Dodgers, would have actually signed an injured and soon-to-be 30 year old whose pitching future is in serious jeopardy to a 10 year 700 million dollar contract if they couldn't use some financial moves to get it down to an actual number that is more like 10 years and 460 million?
  19. Not true
  20. ^Not built for Blue Jays playoff baseball
  21. Ohtani's deferrals are all fugazi. They basically don't matter one bit and the Dodgers aren't circumventing the rules because the rules account for deferrals. Ohtani can dress his contract up however he wants but he signed a 10 year 460 million dollar deal and everything else is just noise.
  22. Also, getting these backend starters to sign with you can be tricky so sometimes it's best to trade for them instead. If you don't have a wide open spot for them, they often sign elsewhere where they are guaranteed to be in the rotation. Even the cheap teams are usually willing to throw enough cash and a guaranteed rotation spot at these guys to entice them to sign with them over taking a bullpen job with a contender. But by trading for Canning, he's got no say in the matter, and the Braves can open the season with him as a long reliever.
  23. You could be right. Maybe Canning is cooked and they want to move on. And Soler on 2 years, 26 million isn't that bad? Hard to give the Angels the benefit of the doubt though. I think I'd rather have Canning and use that money in FA over what an aging Soler brings.
×
×
  • Create New...