All I know is there was a time when someone brought poker chips to every house party I went to and there was interest from almost everyone there to play. That's completely died off over the past 4-5 years. Even when someone brings the chips - half the guys aren't interested. I don't think that's a result of the US banning online gambling sites. It was a just a fad. UFC seems similar. It was new - everyone wanted to check it out....they did, lost interest and it faded into the background. Maybe I'm just old and kids changed things.
I have a friend who's a professional online poker player. Has been for 10+ years now. Put himself through university with it and lives in downtown Toronto driving a Land Rover. Brilliant guy. He doesn't tried to be the best, he just learned to prey on amateurs who basically give him their money online. It's a good gig...although he said he's growing tired of it and is looking to change professions.