When was the last time you felt the Jays were good - or even adequate at developing pitchers?
AA drafted A LOT of pitchers. Stro, Sanchez and Osuna had impact and Thor was traded, but clearly he had to trade for and/or sign Josh Johnson, Dickey, Price, Buehrle, Happ, Estrada, Hawkins, Morrow, Delabar, Santos, etc. He certainly wasn't able to create a pitching development factory. JP Ricciardi didn't do much of anything well. Gord Ash?
I think it's a fair criticism to suggest Atkins has fallen short on the draft/development side of things, but this has been an issue for the Jays for decades. But I think a lot of teams struggle with it - or at least struggle to do it consistently. Heck - even the Dodgers kinda suck at developing pitchers recently. They have like 9 aces and none of them were drafted by the Dodgers (Yama, Sho, Glasnow, Skubal, Snell, Sasaki, etc.). They've developed Wrobleski and Sheehan, who are both back of the rotation arms, but they've had to invest like $85T to build a rotation and half them sit on the IL for most of the season.
I'm sure every team in baseball would love to replicate the success the Guardians have had in developing pitchers (seemingly out of nowhere). Very few organizations can and/or have though - and I do think it becomes cyclical - as there are other factors involved.