Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Brownie19

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,079
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    42

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Brownie19

  1. Hoffman reminds me of the 2018 version of Ken Giles. Almost everything under the hood looks great, but the actual results are discouraging. I believe most of the predictors of future outcomes suggest he's just fine. FWIW - Giles was f*cking nails in 2019 before his arm fell off.
  2. Are you a new poster? or someone who just changed their user name? Love the insight you've been posting man. If you're new, welcome!
  3. It's almost like we're doing it for a particular reason....hrmmm
  4. 1st off, who's ever accused you of being too optimistic? 2nd - after over a decade on this board, I unfortunately see no point in trying to talk baseball with you. You don't seem to acknowledged the other side of any debate. It's like you stick your fingers in your ears and say "lalalalalalalala" every time anyone tries to make a counterpoint and then just double down to try and prove you're "right". Sorry, but it seems to be your character flaw. Either own it, or change it. I have no issue with you contributing on the board. It's fine, but watching people engage in a 2 page debate with you is painful at times.
  5. Get out the brooms and then watch this place to up in flames! The fire Atkins/Schneider mob has been patiently waiting for this day...
  6. That organization is in shambles and all eyes should be on the AA.
  7. Guys - Grant is always right. Why are you debating/arguing with him?
  8. Well this f*cking sucks. Anyone trust Hoffman in the playoffs? We're in shambles!
  9. I haven't seen this posted yet, so I'll say it. I don't think Chad Green should be on this roster anymore. We should target an upgrade.
  10. Always something wrong and someone to blame eh? At least you're consistent I guess
  11. FO/Manager should probably be fired for this erroneous decision!
  12. Term - just to clarify, I didn't do all those things you suggest (max may have). It's a complicated discussion and one I'm certainly not educated enough on the topic to provide much. I do believe wealth distribution is a major issue in society, but know that humans are inherently greedy and that won't change anytime soon. I also think there's an angle beyond the $$$'s that could improve the on-field product that needs to be considered to some extent. And yes - it's my own fault, but I'm able to float it and there's something about a boy chasing his dreams that I feel is important to support. I do get to coach him and it allows us to spend lots of time together still, which is a major benefit. My point was that the road to the show is often REALLY expensive and getting there, even for just 43 days is a major accomplishment (and yes, I think it's great MLB does it after 43 days - other league should follow). I'd like to see more money funneled from super rich owners and players to help compensate those guys a little more. I think they should make a living wage at least.
  13. Is it? Typically that cup of coffee takes 5-8 years in the minors where they make next to nothing, riding the buses in little sh*tholes around America. Plus the cost of all the travel ball, college ball, training, etc. it took to even get drafted. 43 days is really short though - I'll give you that - so maybe that's appropriate. The cost to get to the ML level is insane. It's costing me $15K+ per year for my son to play U15 elite ball in Ontario FFS and he isn't going anywhere.
  14. I don't really want to get into it, but there's probably an argument that a floor, and a smaller gap between the top and the bottom might create a better on-field product, which could help the league as a whole. Some angle where it's not just all about money (even if helping the league as a whole has a monetary benefit to it as well). That said - spending money doesn't always work in baseball, albeit NOT spending money seems to provide pretty consistent results too (which sucks). Interesting discussion.
  15. $34K a year if they wait until Age 62 (if they only have 43 days of active roster service time).
  16. So true. That all sounds oddly familiar doesn't it?
  17. I probably missed the board discussion on this yesterday, but I wanted to take a second to give a heartfelt RIP to Ryne Sandberg. Gone too soon. As a young kid who grew up on a farm in rural Ontario, I had about 4-5 TV channels and 2 of them were fuzzy. That was until my Dad bought us one of those monster satellite dishes the physically turned to get more channels. The TV was off-limits for me if my Dad was home, but he was a farmer and thus he never came home until supper time each night. Luckily for me, this new dish got WGN. Of course the Cubs only played day games until 1988 and thus almost every single day, I'd come home from school and watch the last 3-4 innings of the Cubs game (and the full game during summer break), which was over by the time my Dad arrived home and took the control of the remote. I have several fond memories of those Cubs teams. Mark Grace, Andre Dawson, Greg Maddux (whom I named my first born after), Shawon Dunston, Damon Berryhill, Glenallen Hill, etc. But I was 9 years old when Sandberg hit 40 HRs in 1990 and he quickly became my favourite player. I emulated his swing and wanted to play 2nd base (even as a lefty) because of him. When the game was over, I'd go out and throw/hit tennis balls off the back of the garage (I was an only child). I truly believe this is where my love of the game started and I found it incredibly difficult to hear of his passing yesterday. Between him and Hogan, it's been a week full of nostalgia and the realization of how old I've become. A wakeup call perhaps. But what memories I have of those Cubs teams and the amazing Wrigley Field. Harry Carry calling games and signing in the 7th inning. Life was easier back then. RIP Ryno
  18. Being able to bet on the outcome of single pitches (prop bets) is simply asking for this. It's such a little thing that makes it easy to cheat on. They're asking for this type of thing by allowing these prop bets. They'll either have to police the crap out of it, or eliminate them. IMO - prop betting in single pitches is 100% unnecessary. I suspect they are generally bad for society. BTW - where's the investigation into Angel Reese and the prop bets on her missing her first FG attempt each game? LOL
  19. It's f*cking GO TIME for Atkins. Push the chips in the middle. The timing is perfect.
  20. Obviously you'd like to see 5-7 WAR seasons, but a 140 wRC+, 4 WAR season is perfectly fine. It's positive to see improved defense from him and we know there will be some 160 wRC+ seasons ahead. If he gets hot, there's a chance this year itself will be 150+ and closer to 5 WAR. Vlad is fine IMO.
×
×
  • Create New...