My bad. You threw out the standard "Ross can't sign anybody because the team sucks" post with regard to the remaining FAs and Tony Taters is like the 2nd or 3rd best guy left so forgive me for thinking you were talking about him. Teo has been more talked about than anyone so I wrongly assumed you meant him too.
With the added nuance of your quoted post, I can now say that you have a very solid viewpoint, even though you like to venture into jaysblue territory (might as well tar and feather him while I'm at it) by making overly whiny posts to vent your frustration every once in a while.
But I see what you are saying now and I agree that the state of the franchise does affect them more, especially when it comes to the Top Tier FAs (the true "impact" guys as you say) because the top teams will be in on them and the offers seemingly all top out around the same. The Tony Taters of the world are more worried about pure cash so we can still sign those overpaid turds. We actually don't disagree that much.