Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Brownie19

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,082
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    42

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Brownie19

  1. It would be awesome to see Pompey excel in the WBC v. Some top talent....
  2. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/austin-hedges-learned-how-to-hit/ Someone teach Reese to leg kick please.
  3. I think you're confusing and combining issues here. They are proposing to raise the strike zone to increase the number of balls put in play and/or in the air. The thought is the zone is so low now that pitchers can get strikes called on pitches that hitters can't do s*** with (or something like that - I'm paraphrasing a ton). You're talk about OCD and NHL refs calling penalties from the booth sounds like you're referring to robo umps. They aren't proposing that - people on here are simply discussing it because it's seen as a big issue.
  4. Caterpillar never had any issue with it.
  5. Then fire them and hire new umpires. If all they do is relay the call from an ear piece, then they are extremely replaceable. Who gives a F what the union says. I'm going to move on from this/my rant now....sorry guys.
  6. And that's what's wrong with the world today. We actually care about ignorant, bias opinions. Teachers in Ontario are overpaid (some of the highest paid in North America). Ontario is broke. Reducing their pay while maintaining the level of education is a fairly obvious solution.....but we make the mistake of asking the teachers and their union and low and behold they don't see the big picture and are against taking a pay cut. Shocker. They kick and scream and hold the children hostage...and when it's all done, I get to hear about how both my neighbours took a "sick day" to get their f***ing flu shots. If they don't like it, fire them and hire one of the abundant number of part time/supply teachers who'd LOVE a full time job. Similarly, if pitchers don't want to make a simple adjustment, while making millions of dollars - send them to Korea and call up the next arm. There have to be big picture people at the top who can review all the information and make good decisions without fielding opinions from those who will clearly be bias on the subject.
  7. There's an echo in here...
  8. I think he's suggesting we can assume the batter would touch all 4 bases successfully - just as they are assuming a pitcher will throw all 4 balls successfully. The former actually being much more of a sure thing. I don't agree with his comparison either, but you should have stopped at point a).
  9. Again - I think it's about increasing pace, not decreasing time. Also, many would have argued the same thing about the extra point in football. There were only a couple missed per year; however, I think the change they made was remarkably successful (although I acknowledge simply removing it - like they are proposing with the IBB may not have been as successful).
  10. I heard similar arguments that "pitchers will never approve a change that raises the strike zone". I asked myself - why the f*** would you even ask them? If you've reviewed evidence that making a chance is going to improve the game - then make the change. Obviously if you ask that parties that will be negatively affected by the change if they like it - they will say no because heaven forbid anyone make a decisions that best for the overall health of the games even if it's to the detriment of themselves. (for the record - I'm not for or against changing the strike zone as of this moment...just referring to the principle).
  11. Isn't there a strong likelihood that Sparkman doesn't make the club and is sent back to KC? Biagini's the outliner, not the norm - especially on a team that should contend. Obviously we'll give him a long look, but I'd be surprised if he makes the team.
  12. A point which makes it even dumber for home fans to boo when the other team intentionally walks their hitter... Fans don't boo when the teams use pinch hitters, make pitching changes or implement shifts either. They have oddly identified the strategy of the attempted pickoff and the intentional walk as the most appropriate times to boo the opposing team. I don't get it. Fans are dumn.
  13. How often do #1 through #3 actually happen per season? Why encourage moronic fans from booing an often smart, strategic baseball decision? Not once in all my years following baseball have I felt the need to boo a pitcher trying to pickoff a runner or during an intentional walk. Those are strategic actions that are part of the game. Why don't said fans boo when the other team steals a base? or when they sac bunt?
  14. If we're taking votes. I like the anthem before the game - loath God Bless America in the 7th....although I do like the "take me out to the ballgame" and/or "sweet Caroline" when played at various stadiums.
  15. First - I think you should exclude extra innings from the discussion. This is about the average 9 inning baseball game. Secondly - From what I've read, it's more about the "pace", not the total length of the game. I LOVE BASEBALL, but personally, I'd love to see an increase in the pace of the game. I've always loved watching guys like Buehrle get the ball and throw it...keep things moving. Nobody here can tell me they enjoy pitchers who slow the game down with runners on base, or batters stepping out to adjust their batting gloves again, or trips to the mound by the catcher or pitching coach. IMO, removing/restricting that crap from the game would increase pace and have little to no impact on the game itself. Personally, I do notice and hate how long playoff games take. They all start at 8 or 8:30 these days and most run past midnight. I obviously sacrifice sleep to watch all Jays playoff games, but if Texas is beating Houston 10-6 in the 7th and it's 11:00 - I'm going to bed because I have to work the next day. I would watch (or finish watching) more playoff games if they could end at 11 or 11:30 (max). I don't need/want games to be 2 hours long, but I do support efforts to get the average game below the 3 hours. Speed up pitching changes, restrict trips to the mound, speed up video review, etc. Increasing the pace of the game speaks to everyone IMO - not just to the casual fans.
  16. Removing pointless interviews from sports culture would eliminate a number of the issues...
  17. You enjoy watching them f*** up 15% of the time??
  18. I think it has more to do with it being a completely pointless part of the game. Kind of like the extra point in football used to be. The NFL was able to make it more meaningful/challenging, whereas MLB is simply going to eliminate it. Personally, I'd like to see MLB focus on the catcher/pitching coach visits to the mound. I do think efforts to reduce the game time will be a benefit long term.
  19. But data shows that umpires have been increasingly calling strikes on so many pitches below the knees that, if umpires enforce the redefined strike zone, it would effectively raise the zone by an estimated 2 inches. If the umps can't call the strike zone correctly now - what on earth makes them think they will if they change the strike zone? (or do they have evidence to suggest they'll be more accurate if it's the top of the knee?) I like eliminating the 4 pitch intentional walk. That's what our league does.
  20. I don't see anything in Cron's history to suggest he'll ever be an above average ML player. I see no reason to trade for him with Rowdy near ready.
  21. Coghlan/Upton in LF, Pearce at 1st. Coghlan is likely even cheaper than Carter at this point and is a year removed from a 3.3 WAR season. Carter doesn't have that upside.
  22. If you combine 2015 and 2016 Upton (while on the Padres), he's a 3 WAR player over a full season (playing similar to 2012 Upton). I don't believe he was being platooned in SD, so there is upside here. Much like Pompey (and Pillar) he could bring a lot of value to this team simply by playing good defense and running the bases well. Bring in Coghlan as the 4th OF/insurance and jettison Zeke to AAA.
  23. If I'm not mistaken, I think Upton really only excelled vs. LHP last year....he isn't a true platoon bat. And doesn't Zeke hit LHP better than RHP (while hitting neither very well?). Coghlan's the guy here. Cheap deal.....Zeke to AAA.
  24. I think between Upton and Pompey - LF is covered. Screw Zeke. I still think Upton will be much better this year now that he's had an opportunity to adjust more. Coghlan is still out there too. He posted 3.3 and 2.4 WAR seasons in 2015 and 2014. Appears he'll be dirt cheap and is LH. He seems like a good fit.
  25. Aaron Barrett looks like a great guy to target. The Nats are signing anyone and everyone to a minor league deal...why did they let this guy go?
×
×
  • Create New...