So tough to make the Hall as a catcher.
Martin compares well to Molina and McCann by most measures.
I think too many voters just think of his framing runs as a bit artificial, though. And maybe they have a point. He was good at pitch framing when the measurement of it was new, so there were still a lot of guys catching at the time who were just dogshit and would never catch a major league game these days. The way they calculate the stats compares him to his peers. So, is it fair to just give Martin like, +20 runs in a given year as a pitch framer when he is being compared directly to Ryan Doumit? I don't know the answer I just know that some people for these reasons see his framing runs as a bit artificial, or almost as an artifact of side-effect of when he played and the statistical developments he played through.