Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
4 hours ago, hanton said:

Gabriel Moreno

2023 post season press conferenced Mark Shapiro when asked about the trade

"..you can't evaluate a trade in the short term you gotta give it 4 or 5 years.."

image.png.b1ef43bfc94f932a4ed0395d48146acf.png

 

We know the trade was trash but does anyone still think it was even a necessary trade?

The Jays had 3 catchers and Kirk was coming off a 4 WAR/129 wRC+ season at age 23. The only alternative was to move Moreno to 2B/3B. I honestly wouldn't have been against it, as the Jays signed KK that year anyway, so they didn't really need a CF for 2023 and could have just put Moreno at 2B and ran with it, but whether that was the best use of the catcher surplus would have been highly debatable. Varsho was probably the wrong guy to get in return. It was the ultimate buy high and they didn't even play him in CF for half of his remaining years of control. 

Posted
On 9/24/2026 at 7:14 AM, AMS528 said:

Gabriel Moreno lived up to that best prospect in baseball billing this year. Managed to put together everything including health. 

5.2 fWAR. Underlying hitting stats were good. Defense was good. Still just 26 as well. 

Kirk is just as good though. Well, like...90% as good. He's also just 1 year older.

Kirk is the better defender, but not by much. 

Moreno is the better offensive player, but not by much though the margin is wider than the defensive edge of Kirk.

Of course I'd rather have Moreno now with hindsight given the body comparisons as Moreno will probably age better, but... the trade was perfectly legit in its thought process.  Deal from strength where you already have a keystone and get someone back where to make a team wekaness better. 

Yep, Varsho didnt put in the best 4 years and that sucks. But the process of the trade is easily defensible.

Posted
6 hours ago, Brownie19 said:

He's literally in the 100% percentile in blocking...

15% above average hitter who's one of the best in baseball in blocking and framing.  

He's one of the very best catchers in baseball.

I know, I started posting about his receiving skills way back in 2023 (when I joined the site).

irrelevant, should have moved Moreno to 3b.  How are Dodgers able to handle having Will Smith and Rushing?

Posted
15 hours ago, hanton said:

I know, I started posting about his receiving skills way back in 2023 (when I joined the site).

irrelevant, should have moved Moreno to 3b.  How are Dodgers able to handle having Will Smith and Rushing?

Because they have the money to buy anyone they need to fill other holes?

Posted
15 hours ago, hanton said:

I know, I started posting about his receiving skills way back in 2023 (when I joined the site).

irrelevant, should have moved Moreno to 3b.  How are Dodgers able to handle having Will Smith and Rushing?

The Blue Jays employed Matt Chapman at third base at the time when Moreno first came up so they didn't have an open spot for Moreno. The front office also wanted to keep Chapman long term as well although they weren't able to agree on terms for an extension or contract in free agency as it appeared as though Chapman wasn't interested in staying long term.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Jays Centre Caretaker Fund
The Jays Centre Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Blue Jays community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...