Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

John_Havok

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,419
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    25

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by John_Havok

  1. Scouting report on Frias....he throws hard! In the general direction of the plate.
  2. I'm a Horwitz guy for the 2 hole myself. He at least knows how to walk if he has to.
  3. I don't think it's a brain thing with him, it's a physical tools thing. His arm and footspeed are both 5th percentile. That's not a great place to start building a 2b from. He started out well, but I suspect it became clear internallly as he went along that the more time he spends there, it was only going to go one direction defensively. I think there was a point where was +4 OAA and then plummeted to +1 over the course of a week. Yes, small sample overall on his defense at 2b, so variability could be high one way or the other, I think they decided to pull the plug while they were ahead, knowing they can stick him there in a pinch.
  4. You're not wrong, but plays like that get reviewed by post game scorers also. It could go back to a hit.
  5. I think where he plays will depend largely on what they do in the offseason. If they add a true 3b and keep Vlad at 1st, he'll probably promarily DH and get the occasional start at 1st. If they go another way, and Vlad plays 3rd, he's probably the primary 1b. I don't think the Jays want him playing 2b much
  6. Defensible to call it an error. Then throw beat him by a step and a half and pulled Olson off the bag. Sure it wasn't routine, but it was far from a sure single.
  7. Man it would sure be nice of Horwitz actually has 25 HR pop...
  8. He's kinda worth it, but at the same time, they could likely find a guy that gives 85% of Chapman for 50% of the cost. Add to that they fact they weren't even bidding against other teams and it's kinda head scratching.
  9. Jansen might be the poster child for the 1 year show-me contract somewhere. Might get 1+1 option. 2 year guarantee tops I'd wager.
  10. I've already advocated to sign a top tier SP as the way to improve the rotation. It's also still far to early to write off Yariel as a starter, it's clear he has good enough stuff to do it. I'm more worried about Bassit imploding than I am about Yariel not taking a step forward
  11. Catchers man. Unless they're Buster Posey-esque the smart money is always on letting them walk. Even Adley has taken a step back this season with the bat ( for him, still well above average for a catcher) and he'll be 27 next year.
  12. Adrian Pinto also returned from injury amd has been legit mashing for Vancouver since getting back there in the admittedly Pinto-sized sample. 67 PA, 3 HR, 7 doubles, 1 triple and OPS north of 1.000
  13. Yeah, at this moment the depth is thin. It's basically Bloss and Macko as the default 6 and 7 until Manoah and Ricky T are back and healthy
  14. Macko is back from his forearm soreness. Thrown 2 straight shutout appearances for Dunedin. Their season is over before he would pitch again there so ...he might get one more start at AA
  15. I dont think its necessarily about handing them jobs, its just that neither of them have options next season. It sure seems like a waste of value to place either of them in the pen just for depth purposes when they're both clearly good enough for the rotation. If they find a pitcher to add above them, sure, I guess you could make that argument, but both would be on track for around 130 IP next season. I guess as it stands now, Yariel would be the guy theyd move to the pen if they had to.
  16. If they both hit like they are now, whether they are 1B or DH doesn't really matter. Worry about that problem in 5-7 years.
  17. f***ing rocket for an arm though.
  18. I also agree that the arbitration system is rather stupid. But, the reason I generally don't have a problem with how players usually gets raises, is because of how little they earn when they're in their prime years doing a lot of heavy lifting for league minimum. And those big overpaid contracts are usually only going to superstars now, largely thanks to analytics. FOs aren't breaking the bank for average players and the 2 WAR veterans are usually left with whatever they can get.
  19. Really? Even using 5 million per win... in either season...doing the math suggests Vlad's value would be 30% of 5 million. I'm admittedly too lazy to look up what the actual win value was for 2019...but league minimum salary was 555,000. 30% of 5 million is 1.5 million. Being paid about a 3rd of what you're worth could certainly qualify as drastically underpaid. And if the value a win was higher than 5 million it just gets worse ... I know that's not really the spirit of your argument, but the fact remains a disproportionate number of wins in MLB is generated by ayers in their first 3 years of service time, while.being drastically underpaid at league minimum. That's the basis for those new bonus pools. It's still extremely tilted, but it's a step in the right direction.
  20. He pitched well. Didn't have his usual stuff or command and still managed a QS against a good hitting lineup.
  21. I'll let you know the answer when your post finishes loading
  22. But vlad isn't really overpaid .... and was severely underpaid in years 1, 2, 3, less so in 4, and is trending to be severely underpaid in year 5. But that's a separate argument. They're allowed to use publicly available stats, with limits. They can't use any statcast stuff But yes, the reason it's not getting fixed is because the owners benefit faaaaaaaaaar more often than they get boned. This last CBA negitiation proved that
  23. Its just because of the stats that get used, and remember the arbitrators aren't exactly baseball nerds. I bet if you lined up the traditional stats like hits, HRs, RBIs ... etc etc, they'd all be in the same general area heading into their final arb year.
  24. it's hard to say. The limited samples could go either way. 2023 in 42 chances, he was -1 OAA 2024 in 62 chances he's +3. So +2 in 104 chances, which is just not a lot of chances to go on. To put it in perspective, Bo has 239 chances in 2024 and was a +1 OAA, so the variance in outcomes for Clement could swing pretty far one way or the other with full time reps.
  25. Yep. Its pretty easy to ballpark what he will get given the precedent of the those 4 guys.
×
×
  • Create New...