Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Brownie19

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,100
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    43

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Brownie19

  1. As per Baseball Savant, in 2021, Vlad was in the 69th percentile for Chase Rate. This year, he's in the 30th percentile. In 2021, he swung at 52% of the pitches in the 'shadow', 19% 'chase' and 5% 'waste' and he was at or slightly above league average in all 3 categories. In 2022, those numbers have risen to 56% 'shadow', 27% 'chase' and 9% 'waste'. in 2022, he's below league average for the # of pitches he's swung at in the 'shadow', 'chase' and 'waste' category. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/visuals/swing-take?playerId=665489&playerSet=hitters&year=2021 https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/vladimir-guerrero-665489?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb Pitchers are giving Vlad much less to hit this year and his approach and results are suffering accordingly. He's so good at making contact that he hits those pitches that are close or outside of the zone and the reality is it's really hard to make good contact on those and to do damage. Olerud is correct that until Vlad adjusts his approach and becomes more discipline, we're not going to see 2021 Vlad return. Here's another article that explains it. https://www.mlb.com/news/vladimir-guerrero-jr-needs-to-adjust-to-pitchers
  2. LTBF - Olerud isn't wrong and there's nothing wrong with providing some recent at bats as examples to try and illustrate the areas he needs to improve on.
  3. My first game was back in the early 90's with my parents when the dome was full. I would have been like 10 - 12 years old. We got 500 level nose bleeds and were tucked up in the right center field corner where we couldn't see the jumbotron. It must have rained as I remember the dome opening or closing and we were so close to all the mechanicals components. It was really cool. I took my oldest to see his first game v. the Red Sox 6 years (facebook just reminded me). Jays were down late in the game and I showed him how to wear the rally caps....and wouldn't you believe it, they worked. The Jays came storming back late and walked it off with a Devon Travis grounder deep in the 3rd base hole that he beat out for an infield single. It was an incredible first game and memory for us. I took my youngest son to his first game last year (he was 5). Jays were playing the Red Sox and were down 7-2 at one point. They fought back and capped it off when Springer hit the HUGE 3 run dinger off Barnes to win 9-8. It was equally as amazing! I'm pretty sure my middle son's first game was a Canada Day game with the whole family. Nothing overly memorable from that day other than the red Honda Jays hats we got...and the great show they put on for Canada Day.
  4. What do you guys think of Matt Devlin in the broadcast booth? I think he's fantastic for the Raps and I think he's done a pretty good job so far filling in for Buck. I really like his voice.
  5. Between Carroll, Alek Thomas and Lawlar - the Diamondbacks might have something soon.
  6. Provided the Jays believe Reynolds can play CF at an average rate for the next 3-4 years - then yes.
  7. I won't lie - I'd be super disappointed in Martin if he was still on the Jays. SWR has a 2.39 ERA in AA, but a 4.68 xFIP. Much improved control though.
  8. He was hitting great when he got hurt. He hasn't hit s*** since he returned. It sucks. Hard to know if he's still feeling the affects (or is holding back in fear of hurting his oblique again). Hopefully it's just his timing and he gets going soon. Only 89 PA's to date and a .189 BABIP
  9. Jansen now leads the majors in wRC+ min 30 PA's...
  10. ^ this guy has been a great new addition to the board. Love it. Keep it up!
  11. He sounds like my boy Keith Foulke. I loved that guy back in the early 2000's.
  12. MLB has been using a humidor in Coors for like 10+ years haven't they? Seems odd that suddenly using them in every stadium would result in this. I'm going to need to see more proof myself.
  13. What's the record for most HR's in a minor league season? I googled it and came up with Joe Bauman hitting 72 home runs in 1954! And it said he never played a game in the majors - I looked it up and he hit .400 with 72 HRs - I'm like why the f*** wouldn't he get called up the majors...then I realized it was in some "C League" which is miles below A, AA and AAA I guess. Anyone know? 46 by Ryan Howard is the most I can find...
  14. I don't think this is fair. TA was suggesting that Jackie 'changed the game' and he was suggesting that he's also going to 'change the game' by breaking through the unwritten rules and bringing the fun and flair back to the game. I mean it's a f***ing ridiculous comparison, but I don't think he was suggesting he had to go through the same struggles and hardships that Jackie did. I'm not even sure he's suggesting it has anything to do with race (but I could be wrong).
  15. Should we give people like Grandal and LaRusso a pass here (in claiming it's a racist comment) because they don't have the backstory? I mean surely to god once they realize/remember that Anderson called himself the modern day Jackie - EVERYONE will understand this wasn't a racist comment at all right? RIGHT?!?!? If not, then f*** this world.
  16. Who's the best prospect in baseball right now? Is it Corbin Carroll? Dude's numbers are outrageous.
  17. Welcome! I believe you are able to get in early to watch BP - although I've never done it, so I don't know the rules or anything. You could probably google it or find it on the Blue Jays website...although I'm sure someone on here knows.
  18. Except Chuckles has 2 of our best hitter batting 8th and 9th. Springer Bo Vlad Teo Jansen Espinal Kirk Gurriel Chapman
  19. I still find it crazy that David Price is simply a low leverage reliver now...
  20. Do you have link for this? Seems odd it would affect one finger when it kind of slips between the index and middle finger. I've thrown a splitter for 15 years and never had an issue....now I don't quite throw it as hard as Gausman...
  21. I guess some find it playful and fun, but why are we soaking people in water during every post game interview? Shouldn't that be saved for walk off hits and such? I find it dumb.
  22. Brownie19

    NHL Thread

    It's near impossible to compare era's and even harder to truly determine one player was truly the best of all time IMO. I do however think the gap in talent in the 1980's was significantly larger than it is today and that was one of the biggest reasons why Wayne and Mario simply dominated. They were men amongst boys, whereas today, the top players are more like men amongst teenagers. The $$$ available to these players brought on way more training and that has closed the gap significantly. I think that's true across every sport. Where once the naturally gifted players stood heads and shoulders above the rest, they now just keep their head above the rest (and must put in just as much effort as the rest to stay there).
  23. Brownie19

    NHL Thread

    Good point - it might be more like 65 points. Look how awful this Esa Tikkanen goal is in 1991. Vernon looks like he's standing in a soccer net and he just stands there. https://thehockeywriters.com/30th-anniversary-1991-flames-oilers-series/ I'm obviously joking to some extent, but holy hell has the game changed.
  24. Indeed. .300/.391/.625 slash line and a 181 wRC+ in May. 4 HRs in 46 PA's. Awesome stuff from a 20 year old.
×
×
  • Create New...