Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Brownie19

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,072
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    42

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Brownie19

  1. Then who is? It's been brutal across multiple GM's now and Pete's one of the few common denominators. Walker must have some role in it. I appreciate Walker is traveling around to work with those coaches and minor league players during the season, but I would imagine he sets the organizational strategies and would be a resource for minor league coaches? I'd imagine he has a hand in choosing who's hired to develop/manage pitchers in the minors too? Prospect development is one of the most valuable tools an organization has. Home grown, controllable, affordable talent is essential for long term success. Someone is deciding what type of arms we're going to target/draft/trade for, how they're going to be developed in terms of usage, workload, etc. The Jays have been using the piggyback system dating back to the Sanchez/Snydergaard/Nicolino days I believe. I would be shocked if Pete isn't directly involved in these strategies/philosophies. Maybe I'm wrong and this is why our development has been brutal.
  2. No offense, but the Jays choosing to promote him, doesn't give me any assurance that it's the right thing for his development. I posed the question because our development has been so abysmal under Pete Walker. That said, I do believe I've seen other teams use a similar strategy with some success - which is why I was asking the smart people of this board what they thought. When will the high walks be a red flag - which I assume comes with a increased risk he's a future relief pitcher...
  3. I don't think the pitcher was even necessary to appeal the play. He's only needed if time was called (where by he'd have to go to the mound to put the ball back in play and then step off again). Obviously time wasn't called after the 3rd out. Someone just had to run over with the ball, announce they were appealing the tag up at 3rd and step on the bag.
  4. Just another quick reminder. Catchers often take time to reach their full potential - particularly with the bat, which often lags behind the defense. We wanted to win in 2023-2026. Instead of letting Moreno develop in a part-time role with Kirk, we got a starting OFer who already had some serious success (4.3 WAR season in 2022) and was entering his prime years. There was always risk that Moreno would develop into a star at some point, just as there was also risk he'd flame out, or battle injuries (which he has). If you think you can predict these outcomes with a high success rate, then you're pretty ignorant. If you're in a position to win in 2023, you take the risk he becomes a star in 2026 or 2027 as that may be beyond your window of opportunity. Did Varsho underperform in Toronto? Yes, to some extent. There was certainly a possibility he gave us 16+ WAR in his 4 years in Toronto. But we ended up with a middling result that was impacted by a serious shoulder injury and an inconsistent bat. These things happen. Let's not pretend like even the all-time great GM's in baseball don't have similar results.
  5. Thanks - I didn't know that. I now understand why the run counted last night. It's the same situation, only we didn't appeal that he didn't tag up (or left early?) from 3rd. It's insane how many players on the field didn't know how many outs there were.
  6. I have a question. If the guy on 3rd knew there was only 1 out and he did tag up and score, but the guy on 1st thought it was 2 out and he mistakenly keeps running. The Jays throw to first, to double him off, but the guy tagging scores before the throw makes it to first - does that run actually count? Is that timing play? I wouldn't have thought so, but based on what happened last night, I'm not questioning myself.
  7. On the radio broadcast, they said the scoreboard was corrected right as the ball was hit in the air. The radio broadcast also said the home plate umpire had signaled to start the warm up clock for the Red Sox shortly after the 3rd out was made at 1st base - which is why the Jays were arguing they weren't given a reasonable amount of time to appeal the play.
  8. Jac is a beast. Looks like he's going to be a stud offensively. Pairs nicely with Witt.
  9. Honest question - how much concern is there that his BB/9 remains 5+ with only marginal improvement over last year? Does that matter as much in the lower minors, or is it a reason to slow the promotions? Or do teams not care about that too much until AA/AAA? For a team that seems to target big time arms with control issues, it's a tad concerning we've seen little to no improvement from King or Stanifer this year. Stanifer has been awful. Drafting and development remains our achilles heel.
  10. I was looking through the stats from our Top 30 prospects just yesterday. I think it's safe to say a lot of our prospects have stalled. Looks like the guys in the minors are playing about as poor as the big club is. Arias, Sanchez, Stanifer, Bloss, Hechavarria, Schreck, Barrriera, Piasentin, Duran, Cook, Coffey, etc. All steps back - in some cases, massive ones. It happens, and there have been some nice surprises like Perry and Harry, but the farms looks pretty barren these days.
  11. You seem new. Can we just cut the chase here - are you a troll, or just not very smart?
  12. I think you'll be surprised what type of pitcher you get for $11M. It's definitely 7th/8th guys.
  13. Hit the playoffs on a heater eh? Could we be the 2007 Rockies? How fun would that be?
  14. Or if the offense scored more, or the starters didn't give up as many runs, or we played better defense, or we ran the bases better. Bieber - 5 2/3, 5 ER Bullpen - 5 2/3, 1 ER Stupid bullpen blew it!
  15. Correct - if we go on some amazing 1 in 20 run, we're going to miss Hoffman. I think he's just pointing out how ironic it is that there have been several fans claiming Hoffman cost us the World Series and that he has cost us the playoffs this year, etc. There's never really been a shortage of fans hating on Hoffman at any given time. He's been the scapegoat for awhile now. We trade the guy and suddenly, there's people commenting about how much he is missed. It isn't necessarily the same people making those 2 comments, but it's still kinda funny.
  16. That would have been nice - but I don't think that's the reason to keep him. We got 3 prospects for him and can simply use the $11M we were going to pay him next year to sign someone else in the offseason. Dasan Hill might be the best prospect we acquired at the deadline.
  17. Indeed, but I suspect he opted to join a playoff team...
  18. I have to think we'll use the money Hoffman was owed next year to bolster the bullpen. We could really use a stud lefty who can get lefties and righties out. Until then, we'll get a look at some other guys to see if we have anything. As Olerud correctly points out, this season is over unless there's some miracle that happens once every 15-20 times. I appreciate fans want to hold onto hope.
  19. That was my understanding. But just based on what people have said here. I haven't looked into it.
  20. Heart and soul type player. Career minor leaguer. Overcomes vertigo? Hard not to root for this guy at all.
  21. It's wild. It's an all hands on deck night. So far so good!
×
×
  • Create New...