Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Terminator

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    22,061
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    113

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Terminator

  1. Well if this is the case then please explain to me how the Padres are being run without the bottom line being so important? They are trading one of the top 5 players in baseball in order to cut payroll. Seems like the bottomline bit them in the ass just ONE YEAR later. But you can't admit it because then you'd have to take an L. So instead you are trying to hold the position that the small market Padres spending so much is GOOD (even though there are obvious and immediate consequences). But if the Jays, a bigger market with wealthier owners, sign Ohtani somehow that is BAD. Because of reasons that make no sense. I'd probably just take the L but if you want to try and warp some sort of bizarre reasoning around this garbage logic you can try but no one will buy it.
  2. *ATTACK MODE ACTIVATED* I love how you've been banging on the "Jays need a star player" drum all year and now that we are finalists for Ohtani (the biggest star in baseball since Babe Ruth) you give a qualified "I'd love to have him BUT he's 30 years old and it's a lot of money..." lol
  3. Lol you've been getting high on the small market Padres for the entire past year for doling out 13 year deals. Even when the very next season they now have to cut payroll and trade one of the best players in baseball. Great moves in your opinion. Jays try to sign Ohtani and NOW you have concern about these deals? This is either a subtle troll attempt or one of the dumbest takes I've seen on here in a while.
  4. Yeah I'm worried about that too. They've done TV overlays before and then when Wagner did come back they wouldn't even let him travel on the road. Really, how much can it cost to send a radio team out there? A couple mil? Just pony up and get a good team out there.
  5. Yeah it's possible and in general it's hard to see the Jays outbidding the Dodgers but I think Ohtani helps the Jays franchise more than he does the Dodgers, and that could lead us to putting up a bigger bid. Think of it this way, Ohtani doesn't really transform the Dodgers organization. He cranks things up to another level perhaps, but it isn't transforming their organization. They are still one of the top orgs with or without him. Ohtani coming to the Jays just completely changes things for this franchise. Honestly, it probably changes things for the country a little bit as crazy as that sounds. I think everyone could be pretty damn proud that the biggest free agent in sports history chose to play in Canada. So the transformative value that he brings to the Jays could give us the extra juice it needs to throw a gargantuan number at him that even the Dodgers won't match. Now I'm not saying this to suggest we have even a 30% chance. It's probably like 10 if I had to guess. But if we do get him I think this is why/how it happens.
  6. Yeah definitely see similarities. But the Dice-K situation seemed like pure fan speculation that got out of hand. The Yu Darvish saga seemed a little bit more real but also was hard to believe because the franchise just wasn't a big spender back in 2011. This Ohtani situation feels different because we are now big spenders and it appears that we are a finalist. The gorilla in the room is the Dodgers of course but (1) it's possible we could get crazy and outbid them and (2) we don't know what he is looking for exactly. If we make a pitch about keeping him healthy on the mound for a long time and he likes that maybe he could choose us. Last time it seemed like virtually every single team in the league was interested in him and he chose the Angels of all teams. So yeah, LAD remains the heavy favorites but it definitely seems like we are in the running as much as anyone else and that we do have a legit shot to land him.
  7. **UPDATE** Ok folks my sources are telling me that Drake has officially been given the BOOT. He is no longer a part of the negotiating team. I'm told that Geddy and others haven't been thrilled with Drake's efforts (earlier this week in the team meeting he asked if Ohtani's career batting average was high enough much to the disgust of everyone in attendance). We are trying to sign the second coming of Babe Ruth and he's still dicking around with that mediocre basketball team so he's OUT. The final straw was when Geddy brought up how Drake fumbled the courting of Kawhi and that he was "going to %&@# this up too" and they damn near got into a fistfight. At that point Geddy point blank told Ed Rogers that it's either him or Drake and the answer was easy. We are keeping the great Geddy Lee and Drake can take a hike. The last minute shakeup obviously isn't ideal but the word is that Ohtani doesn't even know who Drake is so I don't think it will hurt our chances that much. The negotiating team is scheduled to meet with Ohtani in LA this weekend. I will keep you all posted.
  8. That makes more sense from the Brewer's perspective then.
  9. Good points. Great deal for him. He's setting a record for a player his age and gets to hit FA again in his prime. If he ends up not panning out he's still got generational money.
  10. Yeah I don't care if we win 70 games a year in the last 5 years of his contract and he's putting up 1 to 2 WAR. Ohtani going into the HoF with a Jays cap on would be the greatest thing this franchise has experienced since the back to back WS. And he's pretty damn good so hopefully he adds a trophy or two as well.
  11. If you move him to RP you wouldn't get the WAR out of him that you would as a starter. But if he was a lights out late inning guy you could get plenty of WPA out of him.
  12. Yeah I think OF/RP would be an intriguing option as well. Might as well throw 1B in the mix too.
  13. I'm sure the Jays are pitching him on some sort of plan to keep him healthy as a pitcher and are pointing toward their sterling record of doing so with the pitchers they currently have. He probably wants to be a two-way player for as long as he possibly can. If I'm the Jays I'm also trying to figure out a way to get him in the OF on top of it. Seems like that would really appeal to him as well.
  14. After we sign Ohtani we should debut Kikuchi's name on the Level of Excellence on Opening Day.
  15. My sources in Canadian intelligence (signing Ohtani has been deemed a national security interest hence their involvement) have informed me that this has also been blocked. He's been contained and is no longer a threat. Carry on folks. Nothing to worry about here.
  16. I have been informed that this post has been tested and it has in fact been blocked in Japan. No system is foolproof of course but we are doing what we can. Carry on folks.
  17. Ok folks I know I hung up my badge months ago but special times call for special measures. We are finalists to sign the greatest player since Babe Ruth and everyone is going to need to be on their best behavior in order to beat the Dodgers and make it happen. I've been in contact with the mods, the conglomerate corporate hedge fund that owns this web site (they are very happy with our year-end numbers btw) as well as some of the higher ups at Rogers. I have even been in contact with members of the Canadian government who are heavily involved but I can't use any of their names so don't ask. Basically, what we've all agreed upon is that everyone needs to be on their best behavior from now until the end of the winter meetings next week. Ohtani is a very polite and mild-mannered guy and if he were to visit the preeminent message board in all of Blue Jays fandom he might be shocked by the Wild West nature that we have going on here. So everyone watch their language and mind your manners or else. Also, when I spoke with the great Geddy Lee last night (who is very involved in this process) he specifically asked me if there was anything we could do about connorp. I told him that we have blocked all of connorp's posts from being viewed by anyone using a Japanese IP address. He also expressed some concerns about Spanky from the hours of midnight to 5 am and I told him that there's nothing we can do about that since Spanky has been given board immunity but we are hopeful that Ohtani, renowned for his health and fitness regimen, will be sleeping whenever Spanky is awake. So everyone keep your crap together, at least through the end of the week, or there will be big time penalties. I'm sorry to have to lay down the law again but I'm sure you all understand. Thanks and go Jays.
  18. Best player since Babe Ruth and we are in the finals. Yeah it's still probably a long shot but it's still a shot people. If you don't feel some rustling in your jimmies right now then you need to see a doctor.
  19. Not really a fan of these Reds moves. They never spend money but I think the way to go would be to wait out the market some and then try and find deals toward the end. Striking on sizable deals for mediocre talent like Pagan and Martinez makes the team better but they need to make their bullets count.
  20. Where the hell is Drake right now anyway? If we are going to sign Ohtani we need all hands on deck. I know Geddy Lee is pulling out all the stops but there's only so much he can do at age 85. DO SOMETHING DRAKE
×
×
  • Create New...