TBF looks like Mike did also offer Priester and a second for Abrams too.
There was a lot of stuff thrown around I can't remember it all. Looking back on it I would do the Priester deal but at the time Abrams was the worst player in baseball, Priester was a Top 75 prospect and the 2nd rounder was going to be a high pick so I just couldn't pull the trigger at the time. I don't think anyone would have.
Ha! Mike is right I should have taken his offer but hindsight is 20/20. When I took over the Twins he offered him to me for a 1st (ended up 1-3 I think but was looking like 1-1 at the time) and I was willing to do a second.
Abrams was playing so bad at the time so I couldn’t pull the trigger. Was one of the worst players in the league at the time so it felt like throwing away a top pick.
Insane for a 5’10” NPB pitcher. He may very well be good but giving Gerrit Cole money to a guy who has never thrown a MLB pitch and has that build is dumn.
Hopefully the Giants get him and it takes them out of the running for Chapman and Bellinger which in turns lowers their prices. Or the Red Sox or Yanks and they get saddled with what will surely be an albatross contract at some point.
Well s*** they made the top 3 lol. Didn’t hurt to try. Only move made that I would have been interested in was Soto but it sounds like the Jays were keeping tabs on that.
The Giants seem to be in on Chapman and Bellinger just like we are. But beyond that they also seem like they would be a good trade partner with JD Davis and all their lefty bats.
Would they be interested in Manoah?
I agree. Everyone has the 700M number burned into their brain so it’s easy to think the Dodgers are avoiding the tax penalties but they need to think of this deal as 460M. Inflation eats away at those deferrals in years 11-20 A LOT.
Well we kind of know what he’s agreeing to without the deferrals. He’s basically agreeing to a 10 year 460 mil deal. Which is about what the industry predicted before this all began. The elbow injury played a big factor in limiting the dollar amount IMO.
The 700M number isn’t even real. 68 million in 2043 is worth about 40-something in todays dollars and the Dodgers are getting hit with 46 mil a year luxury tax hit. And he’s not getting any sort of interest escalators either (Bobby Bonilla is).
It all seems pretty fair to me. Why Ohtani wants to jump through all these hoops I’m not sure. He probably has some sort of income tax plan for the deferrals is all I can think of.
All I want for Christmas is a Jose Ramirez trade.
Imagine him squaring up with and knocking out Aaron Judge and the Yankees (both literally and figuratively) in the ALCS this year.
I’d be down for JDM on a 1 year deal. Brantley or Joc might be 1 year territory as well.
Any of them on one year deals are probably better than multi year deals for the guys who are considered to be a cut above like Teoscar, Hoskins, Soler, etc.
So they've signed
Renfroe
Lugo
Wacha
Will Smith the RP
Garret Hampson
Chris Stratton
And they've traded for
Nick Anderson
Kyle Wright
That's in addition to their deadline moves last year like Ragans. They also got Vinnie P back from injury. They've completely remade the team. Still going to suck but they should at least be watchable (aka contenders in the AL Central).
Yeah that K-rate spiking has me concerned. His walks are dropping off as well.
A 2 year deal for him would make me a little nervous but it will probably take that to get him. I'm not saying I am OUT on JD Martinez but I would tread cautiously. All the remaining FAs have warts and all of them will probably sign for more than you'd want your team to pay.
Yeah he’s old and always hurt. Not exactly the most inspiring signing.
Reading about JDM and apparently he has legendary work ethic and vetrin presents which the team could probably use.