Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Terminator

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    22,061
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    113

 Content Type 

Profiles

Toronto Blue Jays Videos

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Top Prospects Ranking

Toronto Blue Jays Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Toronto Blue Jays Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Terminator

  1. Oh I agree, he's not a good player, not even in the slightest. I was just saying that if we signed him with an option to begin with (when he's coming off a terrible 3 year stretch) it is no surprise to see us leaning toward picking up that option when he's actually produced a decent season with the bat.
  2. Well he's hitting a little bit better than league average right now with a wRC+ 107. Picking up that dirt cheap option makes a heckuva lot more sense then signing him after his miserable '12 season did. That said, if the team who claimed him is offering up even the slightest bit of value for him they should obviously make the move.
  3. It was pretty impressive watching on TV. Did anyone happen to watch Seattle's broadcast and hear their announcer's comments?
  4. Not a bad route to take.
  5. That's a great point but I still think the benefits gained from tanking are outweighed by the detriments. Especially when you have a GM who isn't going to be rebuilding with his stated 3 year window.
  6. Agreed. Losing isn't going to help anything. It could foster resentment among the players and manager, could make it a less desirable destination for FA's next year, etc. We need to finish the season strong and try again next year.
  7. I can't speak to his game calling or chemistry with pitchers. Only those closer to the game can. I don't think he's great at blocking pitches though. Like his older brother, he's fat and rather than moving his body he stabs at balls in the dirt with his glove. I could totally be wrong about that but it's what I remember from his days in TO. He does have a good arm though.
  8. I kind of get Molina. With his pitch framing you can live with his .280 wOBA. But with Ryan you are looking at a .230-.260 wOBA and that's just not going to cut it. He's more suited to be a backup.
  9. But it did work out really well for the A's with Colon.
  10. What about Jhonny Peralta at 2B? His metrics at SS have been good the past couple of years and he would likely come cheap off of his suspension.
  11. Who cares about their attitudes as long as they produce?
  12. In the seasons prior to this one Reyes was below-average, but acceptable at SS. This year it's a really SSS and he has come off that freak injury which could be affecting him. I'm not ready to move him off SS just yet unless the opportunity were to fall in our laps.
  13. Well just because you have a solid 1-5 doesn't mean your 6-9 hitters don't matter as long as they play good defense. That said, I get were you were going and it would be an interesting team. I enjoyed the strategy you were working with.
  14. Ryan is a black hole. He hits worse than a lot of pitchers. Molina isn't much better. Lawrie as your 6th batter is bad. Gose can't even hit AAA pitching this year. That said, the defense is much improved so the team is better but that lineup is very bad.
  15. Yeah, definitely a much improved defense. Ryan > Reyes Gose > Melky Molina > JPA Reyes > Izturis 7-8-9 of that lineup is going to be painful to watch though. Not that our current lineup is much better.
  16. Well that certainly improves our defense.
  17. Hmm after reading it again it is ambiguous as to who's idea it was to make the "strategic decision late last year to make investments in the depth of our baseball teams' talent." Since this is a Rogers report I understood it as the "investment" being made (it is their money after all) was a strategic decision made by Rogers. To me, that explanation seems to make the most sense. That said, it's open to interpretation and the idea could have originated with AA who then convinced ownership to make the decision.
  18. Huh? That makes little sense.
  19. So basically AA was forced to expand payroll to improve the team all in one offseason. A directive from ownership like that brings a little clarity to his moves IMO. Also, it shows that it's not really all that fair to criticize him for not slowly adding big pieces (like Darvish) over the course of 2 to 3 offseasons. This board seems to completely ignore the role that ownership plays in building a team and I'm not sure why. Every GM from Cashman to the Beinfest has to deal with ownership when constructing a team. AA is no different.
  20. He's such a terrible interview. He never divulges information and speaks in cliches. And it's not just him, a lot of GM's are like that. I don't think you can take anything they say without a grain of salt. Heck, in this very interview after he said he wouldn't trade any established players he also said, "unless a deal makes all the sense in the world."
  21. This board has no sense of the politics that are involved with being a GM. What GM's say in public and actually end up doing are two different things. Get a clue, people.
  22. No necesito Google Traslade para este uno. Mas o menos: "More s*** for the most powerful division in baseball." Es correcto, no?
  23. Yeah, you are right about Beurhle. He's gotten a little unlucky but more or less is pitching to expectations. I can't say I agree with you on Dickey though. Just because Dickey is getting older that doesn't mean that he can't progress back to his mean, it just means that his mean is going to trend downward. He's pitching like s***; to expect him to pitch better isn't "a bit much" at all IMO it's just an expectation that he will progress to his age 39 mean. I didn't say that "everyone who was hurt/disappointing this year will be better" though. I said I expect 2 or 3 of our 5 Opening Day starters to improve along with Lawrie and Melky (you seem to agree on those two). I agree that 2014 will have its own set of injuries and poor performances. I'm just hoping that all 5 starters and the entire left side of our defense don't tank like this year. I also think our depth in the rotation will be a lot better with Drabek, Hutchinson, Nolin, and Stroman in better positions to contribute.
  24. You could say that about our entire Opening Day starting rotation. Dickey and Beurhle have under performed and Johnson, Morrow, and Happ have been injured. I'm not expecting every single guy to bounce back but 2 or 3 of them should expect some progression to the mean. And as you said, Lawrie and Cabrera should expect improvement as well. Reyes is back and that adds a couple of wins over the junk we were trotting out there at SS too. Add a 2B or 3B (depending on what you do with Lawrie), a C, and another starting pitcher and I think the team will be set to contend next year. Hutchinson, Drabek, Stroman, Nolin, and maybe even Romero will lead a group that is much more suited to provide rotation depth next year too which has been a big problem this year.
  25. Agreed. And to answer your question, assuming he has typical splits for a righty, you platoon him which means he's not worth a whole lot.
×
×
  • Create New...