You know they would've passed on Giolito anyway.
I had a weird ass dream last night. My girlfriend was the Blue Jays GM, and we made the 10th overall pick at an A&W drive through. She wanted to pick someone I'd never heard of, and I was all mad about it, so we drove off and later found out that the scouting director picked Trey Ball. Then she turned into a chicken and the GM office flooded with two inches of water and the door wouldn't open. So the chicken GM girlfriend had to walk on it's tippy toes and it's chicken feet got all water logged and wrinkly. And Tinnish kept swimming down to slide paper under the door, because he wanted to keep the GM in the loop. And this happened in a school for some reason and there was a bike club which I was more concerned with than anything.
Seems kind of nuts that Frazier might actually be in the picture at #10.
He'll probably get popped at #9 by Pitt, just like Giolito got popped at #16 by the Nats last year.
Ceiling is basically Jon Jay. Maybe with a bet less defense (corner OF) and a bit more in terms of peripheral skills. We're talking about someone with a good hit tool, modest tools everywhere else, but enough instincts to make everything play up.
Martin Prado (the LF version) is another comp that comes to mind.
Relative to his peers, almost.
His wRC+ is at 211 right now.
Bonds broke the 200 mark 4 times during his peak. 212, 233, 234, and 244.
Now, obviously, Bonds did those over 4 full seasons and Miggy's # is only after ~45 games or so.
Daniel Norris figures something out.
May 13: 4 IP, 5 K, 3 BB, 0 HR, 1 H.
May 18: 4 IP, 7 K, 3 BB, 0 HR, 3 H.
Tonight: 4 IP, 10 K, 2 BB, 0 HR, 3 H.
1 run given up in his last 12 innings.
For the NA slot add? That's going to be May 31st now. I want it to be before the prospect cut down deadline, which is June 2nd at 11:59 PM EST. I'll add the NA slot on May 31st in the AM. Let's say 8 AM right on the nose. I'll set an alarm for it.
The prospect cut down date is June 2nd. It makes sense to add the NA slot just before that, so people can promote and stash a prospect if they want to juggle their roster that way. I'll push it through on the morning of Friday, May 31st.
I set it to the last available date, Sept 1st.
Keep in mind that between the draft and the end of the year, there will be no draft picks for anyone to trade.
So says the common assumption. I'm not saying that it's old school ******** or anything, but the degree of significance that teams place on it could very well be disproportionate to the actual effect.
And judging from that video, it's not exactly an "easy" 89-91 anyway. Looks like a high effort delivery.
6'6" is probably past the point of height being as asset too. Longer levers = more difficult to repeat mechanics and release point.
I'll stand by what I said
I blame Travis Snider. Other people might have f***ed him up, sure, but even if that's true, he still let him. Accountability.
The likeliest case is that he just didn't ever have the skill set to succeed, anyway.
Is Trey Ball even a consensus pitcher? I remember reading an (older) report that said he had more promise at the plate. Something like "5 tool potential OF with an easy stroke that should add power. Shawn Green look".
He just seems like such typical draft day fools gold to me.
Who cares how tall he is? That's a vastly overrated prospect trait. Who cares if he's a two way player? You're only drafting him to do one thing. I also DGAF that he's left handed.
A good looking prospect, no doubt, but it just seems like such an old school reach at #10.
The usual caveat though - I know nothing.
He's 25 years old and a hair of talent / a league change away from being a lefty Yovani Gallardo. He had a better K rate, BB rate, and xFIP than Matt Moore last year. It's a Dynasty league.
Solid SP6 (or whatever) and future play.
He also has a K/9 over 10 and a 3.31 FIP. All of this is meaningless though since it's a puny sample size, save for the context of him potentially losing his rotation spot, which I suppose is still possible but considering that he only allowed 1 run tonight and Allen Webster got shelled in his last spotty, I'm guessing that it won't be particularly imminent.