Did you miss the Vernon Wells deal? Travis for Gose? His drafting?
Who do you think is the best GM in baseball? I have little doubt you'll be able to dissect their "work" and come up with plenty of faults. Get off your high horse.
A White Sox reporter was on with Bobcat yesterday talking about potential Shark deals and was talking about how Eaton and Melky have been busts in LF/CF, but how Avisail Garcia has been good. It made me laugh. -0.6 WAR on the year....in Chicago - that's "good".
Nobody corrected him and then they started talking about the possibility of Chris Sale being dealt. That's when I changed the station.
Anyone else notice former Jay Balbino Fuenmayor - who was always awful with the Jays is now chasing the triple crown in AA? Yeah he's old for that league, but that's quite the turn around for someone who's been tuuurbile his entire career.
For awhile there - he was always considered to be one of the best in the game. It seems that has wore off and everyone loves Joe Maddon and Showalter now. I don't follow the Angels much - is he an old school guy who doesn't accept advance statistics and thus has fallen behind the times?
I assume you don't want Hamels b/c of the money left in his deal? Would you rather see them try and pry away a guy like Quintana who's under control and cheap? Or do you not like playoff baseball?
Re: Martin - it looks like they are trying to cut back his playing time a bit more right now to keep him as fresh as possible for later in the year. It also showcases Navarro (unfortunately it showcases how bad he is).
I'm sorry, but I just see regression
wRC+ vs. LHP
2011 - 109
2012 - 103
2013 - 89
2014 - 55
2015 - 34
He has value and we could use another LH bat in the lineup. I'd love to have his defense and superior WWE knowledge on this team - I'm just not giving up our top assets to get him when he's a platoon guy.
I don't think they went into the season with this mentality. However, after seeing that Pompey was about to cry after every failed at bat - they decided he was not mentally strong enough to work his way out of the slump. I'm not sure you can fault the Jays for not being able to know how he'd react during his first slump at the ML level (everyone is different and working your way out of a slump in AA is a lot different than it is in the big show). Let's be honest, he couldn't work his way out of the slump in AAA - what makes you think he was ever going to in the majors?
I hope he's working his tail off now and has learned from his mistakes.
He's got a wRC+ of 34 this year vs. LHP. It was 55 last year. That's tuuurrible. Not useable.
I don't see any value in giving up our good assets like Castro, Pompey, Norris, etc. to add this guy. We need pitching.
Quintana would be an AMAZING pickup. Get him and Daniel Webb.. Seriously though, Quintana is signed long-term for next to nothing. He isn't going anywhere unless Kenny Williams has lost his mind.