Here's cots list of FA outfielders for 1015 with asterisk beside those with a team option.
Outfielders
Norichika Aoki
Emilio Bonifacio
Melky Cabrera
Nelson Cruz
Michael Cuddyer
Rajai Davis
Chris Denorfia
Jeff Francoeur
Jonny Gomes
Franklin Gutierrez
Tony Gwynn Jr.
Scott Hairston
Torii Hunter
Raul Ibanez
Reed Johnson
Ryan Lukwick *
Nick Markakis *
Darnell McDonald
Mike Morse
Colby Rasmus
Alex Rios *
Nate Schierholtz
Grady Sizemore
Seth Smith
Alfonso Soriano
Denard Span *
Ichiro Suzuki
Ryan Sweeney
Josh Willingham
Chris Young
Delmon Young
Denorfia or Young?
Sure at that price Rasmus would be an amazing asset. But what are the chances he signs for that amount anywhere let alone in Toronto?
He is the exact kind of guy that should take a 1 year deal and try to build his value, but someone will offer a multi-year deal. Nothing high enough to that he would decline a QO, but somebody will.
I'm sure Reimold is out, he's been on the 40 man since 2009. Ditto Valencia. Kawasaki might have 1 left. He never spent any time in the minors in 2012 when he was first in the bigs.
**edit** Confirmed Valencia and Reimold are out of options. Mlbtraderumors had an article at the start of the year.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/03/out-of-options-2014.html
I wish there was an easy resource that you could just type in a player name, find out the exact date he was added to the 40 man roster and any assignments since.
Yeah. Lots of really decent relievers out there this year too that likely wouldn't be prohibitively expensive too.
I think the decision on Morrow will set the tone for the offseason. Just based on history of how AA handles things, you can probably bet Morrow is coming back.
I would not retain McGowan at 4 million with the plethora of arms out there that don't suck. I'd like to think AA would let Santos go at his price tag and volatility but who the hell knows. And if morrow comes back, where's the room for Happ? Want a 6.7 million dollar long reliever but keep him and have him step in when/if Morrow gets hurt?
Kawasaki is probably back, and will be cheap. should be out of options now and if he's the 2b to start the season and batting 8th or 9th... Not the worst scenario in the world, but far from ideal.
Mastro can be non tendered and nobody should lose any sleep. I wish Thole could be also ... That whole situation just plain sucks.
To agrees the OP, no chance in hell would I offer Janssen a QO, there literally no upside to be had from it. It's all downside.
As for Rasmus... Nope. Too risky. Could he put up 5 WAR next year? Sure, but it's unlikely. He's way way too volatile. I'm fine with Gose in CF and spend elsewhere.
You can't do that with every player. Some players you really have to keep around past age 26 or 27. There's no way any team could keep replacing 2-3 players evrey year with quality young and cheap replacements. The pipeline would never be that strong. At best you might be able to do that with 1 guy every year.
While you'd a bit over the top, you could also mention the fact that AA clearly has valuation problems and is not willing to pay market value for any upper tier FAs.
Maybe, but the pen is already in a bad spot from the last two games, they can't bring Jenkins back yet, and who knows what Drabek would do. I think Hutch has to wear this one for as long as he can.
Scherzer, Shields, Lester, Iwakuma all available in the offseason if no extensions are done prior.
Lester can't get a QO, the other 3 surely will.
Iwakuma would likely come cheaper than the other three. Great FB numbers, doesn't walk guys....
I replied but who the hell knows if you'll ever get it with yahoo mail. I declined but it was a fair offer. I like the power upside of my guy a bit better, plus my MIF with Bogaerts and Santana seems okay for now.
I was wondering why you didn't already have him in your lineup.