Jump to content
Jays Centre
  • Create Account

Joe Rutland

Verified Member
  • Posts

    4
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Joe Rutland's Achievements

Prep Ball

Prep Ball (1/14)

0

Reputation

  1. The Toronto Blue Jays signed Dylan Cease to a seven-year, $210 million contract earlier this offseason. It is the largest free agent contract they have ever given out, surpassing George Springer's deal. Manager John Schneider played a role in the entire process. He may not have forced the former San Diego Padres pitcher to sign that deal. Yet, Schneider did help out with the communications to convince Cease to come on board. The entire deal got done at an expedited pace, something that caught Schneider off guard. "Yeah, it happened really quick," Schneider said on Tuesday at the Winter Meetings in Orlando, Fla, where he addressed reporters, including DiamondCentric's John Bonnes. It was Schneider's first press conference since he spoke to the media after losing Game 7 of the 2025 World Series to the Los Angeles Dodgers. "I think just the initial Zoom call with him, you could tell he was pretty intrigued with what we were talking about." Right now, the Blue Jays can slot Cease into a probable Opening Day start. He's going to fit right in nicely with Kevin Gausman, Shane Bieber, José Berríos, and Trey Yesavage. "We obviously value him pretty highly, and it just kind of lined up," Schneider said. When it comes to Cease joining Toronto's starting rotation, Schneider was clear that he's looking forward to it. "After the initial communication -- really, I think the deal was done in about a week - which is really, really rare at that point in the offseason," he said. "I think it's important to keep some of that momentum building, building, and thrilled that he's part of our rotation. We've been in love with his stuff for a while, and I think there's a real opportunity for him to kind of continue to get better with what we can offer him." In each of the past five seasons, three for the White Sox and two for the Padres, Cease has pitched more than 165 innings. That speaks to how durable he can be for Toronto. He also totaled 200-plus strikeouts in each of those seasons, too. Last season for San Diego, Cease posted an 8-12 record, started 32 games and pitched 168 innings. He had a 29.8% strikeout rate, a 9.8% walk rate, and a 4.55 ERA. However, his FIP, SIERA, and xERA were all about one run lower. It appears that Cease wants to continue to grow and be even more consistent in his outings. Schneider truly believes that the Blue Jays' organization can help him a whole lot. "I think he's a really, really inquisitive mind, if you will," Schneider said on Tuesday. "We tried to kind of poke him with questions. Simple things like 'How has your fastball grip evolved?' It hasn't really, we learned, in quite a few years. Okay. 'Have you tried this?' He got intrigued with some of the things we were talking about. I think there's some delivery stuff that has been a little bit inconsistent, like every pitcher, over the last couple of years. "Hearing how aware of all those things he was and the openness to even start saying, 'Hey, let's start thinking more about a change-up that I've thrown a little bit and how can you help me develop it?'" Schneider said. "I think that kind of caught his attention as well," he continued. "I think Toronto is a perfect place for him to kind of spread his wings a little bit as he gets a little bit older, the city. Kind of those things, and the fact that we have the people that not only know that stuff but can really coach it, I think was appealing." After Cease's deal was announced, Mike Podhorzer of RotoGraphs took a look at how moving from Petco Park in San Diego to Rogers Centre in Toronto could affect the right-hander's numbers. "All else equal, the park switch is a slight negative for Cease's BABIP, WHIP, strikeouts, and home runs allowed, which would affect his ERA," Podhorzer wrote. "So basically, his projection should get just a bit worse after the move." Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how Cease adjusts to his new team and new home stadium. Schneider and the Blue Jays' front office will hope that Cease can show that he's worth all that money from the get-go. View full article
  2. The Toronto Blue Jays signed Dylan Cease to a seven-year, $210 million contract earlier this offseason. It is the largest free agent contract they have ever given out, surpassing George Springer's deal. Manager John Schneider played a role in the entire process. He may not have forced the former San Diego Padres pitcher to sign that deal. Yet, Schneider did help out with the communications to convince Cease to come on board. The entire deal got done at an expedited pace, something that caught Schneider off guard. "Yeah, it happened really quick," Schneider said on Tuesday at the Winter Meetings in Orlando, Fla, where he addressed reporters, including DiamondCentric's John Bonnes. It was Schneider's first press conference since he spoke to the media after losing Game 7 of the 2025 World Series to the Los Angeles Dodgers. "I think just the initial Zoom call with him, you could tell he was pretty intrigued with what we were talking about." Right now, the Blue Jays can slot Cease into a probable Opening Day start. He's going to fit right in nicely with Kevin Gausman, Shane Bieber, José Berríos, and Trey Yesavage. "We obviously value him pretty highly, and it just kind of lined up," Schneider said. When it comes to Cease joining Toronto's starting rotation, Schneider was clear that he's looking forward to it. "After the initial communication -- really, I think the deal was done in about a week - which is really, really rare at that point in the offseason," he said. "I think it's important to keep some of that momentum building, building, and thrilled that he's part of our rotation. We've been in love with his stuff for a while, and I think there's a real opportunity for him to kind of continue to get better with what we can offer him." In each of the past five seasons, three for the White Sox and two for the Padres, Cease has pitched more than 165 innings. That speaks to how durable he can be for Toronto. He also totaled 200-plus strikeouts in each of those seasons, too. Last season for San Diego, Cease posted an 8-12 record, started 32 games and pitched 168 innings. He had a 29.8% strikeout rate, a 9.8% walk rate, and a 4.55 ERA. However, his FIP, SIERA, and xERA were all about one run lower. It appears that Cease wants to continue to grow and be even more consistent in his outings. Schneider truly believes that the Blue Jays' organization can help him a whole lot. "I think he's a really, really inquisitive mind, if you will," Schneider said on Tuesday. "We tried to kind of poke him with questions. Simple things like 'How has your fastball grip evolved?' It hasn't really, we learned, in quite a few years. Okay. 'Have you tried this?' He got intrigued with some of the things we were talking about. I think there's some delivery stuff that has been a little bit inconsistent, like every pitcher, over the last couple of years. "Hearing how aware of all those things he was and the openness to even start saying, 'Hey, let's start thinking more about a change-up that I've thrown a little bit and how can you help me develop it?'" Schneider said. "I think that kind of caught his attention as well," he continued. "I think Toronto is a perfect place for him to kind of spread his wings a little bit as he gets a little bit older, the city. Kind of those things, and the fact that we have the people that not only know that stuff but can really coach it, I think was appealing." After Cease's deal was announced, Mike Podhorzer of RotoGraphs took a look at how moving from Petco Park in San Diego to Rogers Centre in Toronto could affect the right-hander's numbers. "All else equal, the park switch is a slight negative for Cease's BABIP, WHIP, strikeouts, and home runs allowed, which would affect his ERA," Podhorzer wrote. "So basically, his projection should get just a bit worse after the move." Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how Cease adjusts to his new team and new home stadium. Schneider and the Blue Jays' front office will hope that Cease can show that he's worth all that money from the get-go.
  3. The Toronto Blue Jays had an interesting visitor stop by their Florida facility on Wednesday. Would you believe that it was free agent outfielder Kyle Tucker? That's the news spreading around MLB circles on Wednesday night. According to Robert Murray, MLB Insider for FanSided, Tucker indeed made a visit to the facility. The Blue Jays have already been busy in the free agent market, with the Winter Meetings set to kick off on Sunday in Orlando, Fla. Toronto has added Dylan Cease and Cody Ponce to its pitching staff. What would it mean if the Blue Jays, who desperately want to get back to the World Series after losing to the Los Angeles Dodgers, could bring Tucker to play at Rogers Centre? It would be an incredible addition for Blue Jays manager John Schneider and his team. Imagine Tucker and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. in the same starting lineup, mashing baseballs all around MLB ballparks. Let's take a look at some numbers and data concerning Tucker. He was the fifth overall selection in the 2015 MLB Draft by the Houston Astros. He spent seven seasons with the Astros, winning two World Series titles while there. Tucker had a slash line of .274/.353/.516 with 125 home runs and 417 RBIs for Houston. But Tucker was traded to the Cubs in December 2024 for infielder Isaac Paredes, right-handed pitcher Hayden Wesneski, and outfielder Cam Smith. Tucker's final numbers with the Cubs were decent, but they really slid down later in the season after he got off to a really hot start. Overall, Tucker posted a slash line of .266/.377/.474, hit 22 homers, and stole 25 bases. He also drew 87 walks, making sure he got on base as much as possible for the Cubs' big hitters behind him. The Blue Jays are also interested in bringing back free agent infielder Bo Bichette, too. What would the Jays do if they end up signing Tucker? Would they just let Bichette go? Or, could they look to maybe sign both of them? That would really stretch their pocketbook. All we can say for now is that with the Winter Meetings starting up in a few days, it will soon be time for the Blue Jays and Tucker's representatives to have some heart-to-heart conversations.
  4. The Toronto Blue Jays had an interesting visitor stop by their Florida facility on Wednesday. Would you believe that it was free agent outfielder Kyle Tucker? That's the news spreading around MLB circles on Wednesday night. According to Robert Murray, MLB Insider for FanSided, Tucker indeed made a visit to the facility. The Blue Jays have already been busy in the free agent market, with the Winter Meetings set to kick off on Sunday in Orlando, Fla. Toronto has added Dylan Cease and Cody Ponce to its pitching staff. What would it mean if the Blue Jays, who desperately want to get back to the World Series after losing to the Los Angeles Dodgers, could bring Tucker to play at Rogers Centre? It would be an incredible addition for Blue Jays manager John Schneider and his team. Imagine Tucker and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. in the same starting lineup, mashing baseballs all around MLB ballparks. Let's take a look at some numbers and data concerning Tucker. He was the fifth overall selection in the 2015 MLB Draft by the Houston Astros. He spent seven seasons with the Astros, winning two World Series titles while there. Tucker had a slash line of .274/.353/.516 with 125 home runs and 417 RBIs for Houston. But Tucker was traded to the Cubs in December 2024 for infielder Isaac Paredes, right-handed pitcher Hayden Wesneski, and outfielder Cam Smith. Tucker's final numbers with the Cubs were decent, but they really slid down later in the season after he got off to a really hot start. Overall, Tucker posted a slash line of .266/.377/.474, hit 22 homers, and stole 25 bases. He also drew 87 walks, making sure he got on base as much as possible for the Cubs' big hitters behind him. The Blue Jays are also interested in bringing back free agent infielder Bo Bichette, too. What would the Jays do if they end up signing Tucker? Would they just let Bichette go? Or, could they look to maybe sign both of them? That would really stretch their pocketbook. All we can say for now is that with the Winter Meetings starting up in a few days, it will soon be time for the Blue Jays and Tucker's representatives to have some heart-to-heart conversations. View full article
×
×
  • Create New...